How to Use Tracts
By Gerald Johnson
Why Tracts Are Effective
- Many people never go to church or read the Bible. A tract may be the only
clear presentation of the Gospel they will ever receive.
- A tract can go anywhere inexpensively. You can carry it in your pocket
or purse, place it in a rack, or send it through the mail.
- A tract will reinforce your personal witness. Even if you can't follow
up, the reader can write to the address on the back for further help.
- Some people will not listen to you, but will accept a tract. Many people
have been saved through reading (and rereading) a tract in privacy.
How To Use Tracts
When you give a tract, you are representing the Lord. Here are a few
suggestions on how to witness for Jesus Christ with tracts.
- Prayerfully. Ask the Lord to give you a love for Christ and a genuine
concern for those whom you will meet. Pray that the Holy Spirit will, through
the tracts you give, open hearts and minds to the Gospel.
- Practically. Be sensitive to the needs and interests of those around
you, and be equipped to use tracts when it is appropriate.
- Pleasantly. It costs so little to smile, but a smile goes so far. If a
person refuses a tract or wants to argue, be pleasant. Don't argue.
- Plentifully. Tracts cost so little that you can afford to give them
freely. Certainly some people will throw them away. People turn off the
radio, yet we still broadcast the Gospel. Be persistent, and trust the Lord
to bring forth fruit.
- Prospectively. Tracts open the door to further witness. But if you have
an opportunity to share your faith, don't give a tract as an excuse to not
Other Ways To Use Tracts
- Mail tracts with letters, greeting cards and bills. Send them to friends,
shut-ins, and visitors to your church.
- Give them to waitresses, gasoline attendants, and salespeople.
- Carry them on vacation and whenever you travel. Always have some in your
pocket, purse, and glove compartment.
- Keep tracts inside the entrance of your home to give to solicitors. Put
tracts in your church bulletin for visitors and to encourage Christians to
- Place a tract rack in your church. Place tract racks in hospitals, rest
homes, bus stations, prisons, etc.
- Give tracts to children in VBS and Sunday school and on special days like
Halloween, Valentine's Day and Christmas.
- Go with teams from your church with tracts door-to-door, to sports
events, fairs, etc. Hand-stamp your church address on the back if possible,
but the important thing is to give out tracts.